In 1901, a group of Portsmouth men who wanted to have a place of their own to play golf, organized and established the Portsmouth Country Club. They bought a piece of farmland and hired Alex Findlay, a course architect, to build them a nine hole golf course. A course was built and in five weeks they were playing golf on it Thirty-two years later nine more holes were added. In the 1950’s the U.S. Government decided to build a bomber base in New Hampshire. They took the property by eminent domain forcing the club to find a new location. The original course is now the Pease Golf Course.
The present property was bought for $40,000. Renowned golf course architect Robert Trent Jones was hired to lay out an 18 hole course which was built in 1956 and opened for play in July 1957. The original clubhouse, built in 1956, was replaced in 1998 with the present building.